Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ever wanted to take a *FREE* class in sci-fi/fantasy literature ?

My sister is awesome, and pointed me to this online class through coursera that is:

1. Free
2. Conducted by a seriously talented professor at the University of Michigan
3. Totally awesome

The course is 10 weeks long, and started on the 23rd of July, which means you might have to do a little catch-up work...but I bet it would be totally worth it.

I've read some of the great stuff covered in the course, like Frankenstein, everything by Hawthorne and Poe, The Invisible ManHerland, and the Martian Chronicles, but that still leaves a lot I have yet to discover. I'm seriously intrigued.

I'd like to be a writer of fantasy or science fiction when I grow up, and the fact that I haven't read even half of the units in this course reminds me that I'm hardly the sci-fi/fantasy guru that people sometimes accuse me of being (being this type of guru is almost pejorative as far as my wife is concerned).

Below is the bio pic of the course instructor, the honorable Erik S. Rabkin. Now, isn't that the face of someone you'd want to have marking your homework with a red pen? FYI his office hours are TWTh 3:10-4:00, if you ever happen to be stopping through Ann Arbor.


On a more general note, is the idea of free online classes taught by experts in their field totally amazing and cool to anyone else? This had better still be happening when Addison starts school, because that's probably the next time I'll have enough free time for this sort of awesomeness.

13 comments:

  1. That's kind of cool. I wish I had time for something like that, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have, actually, read most of what's on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a tweet that Coursera is hiring. You should totally work for them. https://www.coursera.org/about/jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hot dog! I'm off to check it out.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You totally should - I want to hear back from somebody who tries it!

      Delete
  5. Oh I wish I had time for this - or at least had discovered it a month ago so I could have tried to make the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Neal, congrats on being a new bookslut! I had to come over and poke around your blog.

    Thanks for posting about this class. It led me to Coursera where I found the Modern & Contemporary American Poetry course. Poetry has always intimidated me. I may face my fears by taking this class.
    https://www.coursera.org/course/modernpoetry

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thanks for the welcome! Welcome back at you!

      I'm totally interested to hear how an actual course at Coursera goes, so if you try one, let us know.

      Delete
  7. While I'm not going to start this course because I'm a little late, I love the idea of looking to see if other courses are ever offered! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete